Monday, May 7, 2007

The Academy Is... Capable of So Much More



Santi is not, in and of itself, bad music. It is, however, bad for those who were expecting something either similar to Almost Here, the surprisingly intricate powerpop full-length debut from The Academy Is... or something completely new and different. While Santi is certainly a departure from the Academy's previous material, there is nothing new about it. It brings me back to the "hip" scene of 2004, when everyone stopped pretending they were from England and started pretending they were from Brooklyn, when we never washed our hair and Hot Hot Heat was the shit.

There was plenty of talk surrounding this album before its release, and there are plenty of questions surrounding it now. Old fans are talking to themselves, wondering why they liked this band so much in the first place. New fans are talking to the kids who sit behind them in algebra, wondering why this album totally, like, rocks so much. And the Strokes are talking amongst themselves, wondering if they didn't already write this record.

Generic dance rock isn't necessarily terrible music. But Santi is bad music for those who were expecting the new TAI album to be their Deja Entendu. Instead, it's their From Under the Cork Tree. And trust me, that's not good.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I thought their first record was bad too. They're just painfully generic in every way. And also just plain painful because something is totallly off about Beckett's voice this time around.

Although I am currently listening to Girlfriend by Avril Lavigne of repeat right now so...

Brianna Zani said...

I enjoyed Almost Here, because I'm a sucker for pop-punk and because I wasn't really expecting much out of them, so it was a nice, multi-layered surprise. I had high hopes for Santi at first, but after hearing the first two singles I knew for sure it was going to be something I didn't like. And sure enough, when I got my hands on the whole thing, I didn't like it. It's still not awful, it's just not up to par with what I think these kids could do if they really tried.

Anonymous said...

i still never wash my hair

Anonymous said...

Nice pun, Angsty :P

By the way, please post on this like two or three times a day. It's my favorite new addiction.

XOXO,
AP

Keisha said...

I never was a huge fan of them, but at least Almost Here was bearable. I dont know what this Santi shit is. Why do FBR bands love to fuck with their sound AND image when it come to their sophomore album? These guys need to learn to change slowly, not do a complete 180